Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans Day


My family recently lost a World War II veteran. We listened to taps being played and watched as a soldier presented the American Flag to my cousins. This was a very somber moment. It is something special to hear a soldier express gratitude on behalf of the United States of America. It is something special to have a veteran in your family.

I heard many, many World War II stories from my father and his three brothers. I think of my poor Grandmother worrying about her four sons in battle.

Who to honor on this day? That is a big question because our family has so many fine veterans! I have decided to honor the newest veteran in the Dooley family. His name is Devan Andrew Hatfield. He had always dreamed of becoming a Marine.



On September 11, 2001, Devan Andrew Hatfield was just seventeen years old. The events of the day made a profound impact on him. His country needed him and he was going to serve. On July 30, 2002, Devan enlisted in the Marine Corps. During the period of the second Iraq War, Devan served in Bagdad, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait and Chile. Devan was a member of the Fast Team. Thank you, Devan, for your dedication and service to our country!

The photograph is courtesy of Devan’s proud grandfather, Stephen Dooley of Colorado. Yes, Devan’s mother did worry just like my grandmother!

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine having one let alone four out of your five children fighting in the same war. It was divine intervention that they all came home safely. My father and brother and uncle are all veterans. I haven't done enough genealogy to find out about other relatives yet.

    Keep up the good posts! Enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for deciding to tell your ancestor stories! ;-)

    Welcome to the GeneaBloggers family. Hope you find the association fruitful; I sure do. I have found it most stimulating, especially some of the Daily Themes.

    May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

    Dr. Bill ;-)
    http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
    Author of "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories" and family saga novels:
    "Back to the Homeplace" and "The Homeplace Revisited"
    http://thehomeplaceseries.blogspot.com/
    http://www.examiner.com/x-53135-Springfield-Genealogy-Examiner
    http://www.examiner.com/x-58285-Ozarks-Cultural-Heritage-Examiner

    ReplyDelete