Thursday, December 1, 2011

The First Day of Advent = Christmas Trees



Everyone one loves a Christmas tree. I made a quick search of my family photographs and found several Christmas tree photographs. Photos of trees, trees surrounded by gifts and trees surrounded by happy children and gifts seem to cross generations.

I remember my paternal grandmother telling me about Christmas trees of her childhood. Her childhood trees were decorated with homemade ornaments and real candles! The candles would be lit on Christmas morning and her family would enjoy the beautifully lit tree. After a brief look, the candles would then be snuffed out!

My mother remembers Christmas Eve. She and her brother would be tucked snug in their beds. As they slept, her parents would decorate the tree for their Christmas morning surprise!

There are no natural trees in our home. Many years ago, our son had an allergic reaction to our “real” tree. A trip to the pediatrician sold us on the idea of artificial trees.

We enjoy our Christmas tree in much the same manner as parents and grandparents did. Christmas ornaments become treasures handed down from one generation to the next. When my mother passed away, our family gathered and everyone took turns choosing favorite ornaments. We are all happy to have them.

Have a Merry Christmas!


Linda

2 comments:

  1. I love this photo . . . very cute and wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Photo! I am allergic to Trees also!

    ReplyDelete