Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Oops!


Rich commented on my last post by saying, “It was nice to hear the story again even if it is from a secondary source.”  

It was nice to tell the story again but I mistakenly called Cousin Robbin a secondary source. I just reviewed my genealogy manual and  realized that the information reported to me was secondary information! I need to review my genealogical terms. Oops!

The definition of Secondary Information:
“Statements made by individuals who were not actual participants in an event or did not actually witness an occurrence are classed as secondary information. This category embraces family tradition and local lore…”

Elizabeth Shown Mills, Professional Genealogy (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 2001), p 234.

No comments:

Post a Comment