Sunday, January 1, 2012

Auld Lang Syne


Wishing everyone a Healthy and Happy New Year! The idea of a new year fills me with hope. The year is completely open and full of possibilities. With that in mind, I have committed myself to filling 2012 with love and happiness. I cannot control what happens in our crazy world, but I can attempt to make my little corner a gentle, loving place which I plan to share abundantly.  My inspiration comes from this video, Happy New Year – Auld Lang Syne by Sissel posted on You Tube. Life is a beautiful gift. Let’s make 2012 beautiful too!

Saying goodbye to the old year and welcoming the New Year reminds me of singing Auld Lang Syne with my family on New Year's Eve. My aunts, uncles and cousins would come to our home to celebrate the new year together. My mother would serve food for all. The memory of what we ate has vanished with one exception. My mother always served herring in sour cream!

Robert Burns wrote Auld Lang Syne as a Scottish poem in 1788.  It was put to the music of a traditional Scottish folk song and was sung in English speaking countries. It is said that Robert Burns put an old man’s words to manuscript creating the poem. The Auld Lang Syne manuscript can be found in the permanent collection British literature in the Lilly Library at the Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana. If you are interested in learning more about this old song, please refer to the wikipedia article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Lang_Syne.

Happy New Year,

Linda

1 comment:

  1. Mom always had a dish of ribbon candy on New Years too. I remember Holly and I enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete