Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The More I Learn . . . The Less I Know


Last year I was enrolled in Boston University’s Genealogical Research Certificate Online Course. As a result, I am part of a Google Group of BU graduates. As always I find myself humbled by the talent in that group. I rarely post, but I always read what is written.

Genealogists are always interested in telling the stories of ancestors whether it is for clients or for self. A member of that Google Group recommended the book, “Bringing Your Family History to Life Through Social History.” I reserved a copy at my local library and am ready to dig in.

On my way out, I stopped in the genealogy room. I needed help finding 1920 marriage records for the state of Illinois. Illinois marriage records are indexed from 1851-1900 and from 1930-1950. The years between 1900-1930 appear to be missing. The genealogist on staff thought that the records were just not indexed yet and recommended a trip to the Cook County Clerk office. I really want to find that marriage license but dread looking through un-indexed microfilm!

While there I met a woman beginning your journey into genealogy. You could hear the excitement in her voice as she spoke of her “finds” and what she wanted to learn next. She is hooked.  I hope I run into her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment