Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Lessons in Story Telling


My challenge is to tell the story of the Silas W. Cobb Family. I am ready for the challenge, but struggle with mechanics. I am beginning to think that this blog is my practice ground. Stories may be repeated as I hone my skills.



One single grave marker located in the Northfield Oakwood Cemetery, Northbrook, Illinois sparked my interest in Silas W. Cobb. Silas W. Cobb was a New Englander and an ancestor unknown to me.  He resided much of his adult life in the towns of Moretown and Montpelier, Vermont.

I suspect he married Sarah Hawks sometime prior to 1802 as their first child, Adeline was born about 1802.  Adeline was followed by Edwin (1804), George Whitman (1807), Silas Bowman (1812) and Mary Ann (1814).

The end of 1814 and the beginning of 1815 must have been terribly challenging for Silas W. Cobb and his family. The Vermont Watchman Newspaper of Montpelier reported in December 1814 that infant Mary Ann Cobb died at three months of age.

Cobb, Mary Ann; age 3 months, daughter of Silas W. Cobb; Moretown; Issue Date 13 Dec 1814.

Sarah Cobb, my great, great, great grandmother, passed away on 3 January 1815. The Duxbury and Moretown Cemetery Inscriptions by Robert Morse report the following:

Cobb, Sarah, wife of Silas W. Cobb, d. Jan. 3, 1815, age 33 years

In about one month's time, Silas W. Cobb lost his youngest daughter and became a widower with four young children to raise. What is a man to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment