Monday, March 19, 2012

The Start of a New Week


Do you ever wish the days to be longer in order to get that “To Do List” checked off? I have been wishing that lately. A few too many things on my “To Do List” have made blogging a bit of a challenge.

I joined my local genealogy society and volunteered to help with the scheduling of programs for our monthly meetings. It has been a good experience. My co-chair, Bill, and I quickly filled the schedule. Our speakers have been confirmed and the year seems to be moving along smoothly.

The Illinois Humanities Council is sponsoring our April meeting. I am told we are very lucky to have received the funding and a few tasks need to completed in regards to the IHC requirements. We must advertise our April meeting in newspapers.

I made my feeble attempt at a press release and then sent it off to my daughter for her review. Luckily for me, she happens to be in the public relations field. My daughter quickly amended by work and tonight I have sent out my first official press releases!

On April 14, 2012, Ellie Carlson, Curator of Costume for the Winnetka Historical Society, will be teaching us techniques for dating photos. Guests are invited to bring photos for her review. The meeting is held at the Northbrook History Museum, 1776 Walters Avenue, Northbrook, Illinois. The meeting begins at 1:00 p.m. If you are interested, please stop in.

I must show off by first Press Release with a BIG THANK YOU to my daughter!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE


North Suburban Genealogy Society Hosts Public Meeting
Attendees Invited to Bring Family Photographs for Dating


March 19, 2012 (Northbrook, Ill.) - The North Suburban Genealogy Society invites the public to attend its April 14 meeting at the Northbrook History Museum (1776 Walters Avenue, Northbrook, IL). The meeting will feature Ellie Carlson, Curator of Costume for the Winnetka Historical Society, and focus on dating family photos through clothing. Attendees will learn techniques for dating photos and additional tools to use in their genealogy search.

Carlson, who is quoted as saying, “Some people are married to their jobs, I date costumes,” is a museum curator with 25 years experience in small and mid-size museums. She has also completed a professional internship at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History in the Division of Costume in 1987.

The April 14 meeting begins at 1:00 PM and is handicap accessible. This is a Road Scholar lecture sponsored by the Illinois Humanities Council.




Linda

1 comment: