Friday, April 6, 2012

Indexing of the 1940 Census


To expedite the 1940 U.S. Census Indexing Project, I became an indexing volunteer. After registering on Family Search, I watched a short indexing video, read the directions and downloaded my first batch. Today I indexed a page of 1940 census page for New Rochelle, New York. I am now waiting to submit my work. The servers are busy with eager genealogists working to complete each state’s records. Oh, come on servers, I need to submit my batch before I can download a new batch.

My work will be re-indexed by a second volunteer. If both indexers work matches the batch is accepted. Should each indexer record conflicting information, an arbitrator will review and make the final decision.

I am slow to jump into the indexing fever but never the less here I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment