Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Genealogical Thanksgiving


 I have so much to celebrate this Thanksgiving. November 6, 2012, brought my one-year blog anniversary. I let it pass without acknowledgement, however, I was mindful of the milestone. Throughout the first year, I often wondered would I make it a year. To date I have published 136 posts with 37 followers and 8,742 page views with plenty of stories yet to tell.

The best part of genealogy is the connections I make through this hobby of mine. As my anniversary drew near, I received an email from my third cousin, Lynda Henderson. She happens to live near my son in the Pacific Northwest. We planned on meeting this summer, but a flat tire spoiled our plans. We will meet one day.

On November 3rd, Lynda shared a photo of our mutual fourth great grandmother, Sarah Cobb nee Hawks. Sarah passed away in Vermont following the birth of her fifth child, Mary Ann Cobb. Little Mary Ann passed 5 December 1814 and Sarah passed in 3 January 1815. This must have been difficult times for the New England Cobb family.

The Cobb and Hawks families are of interest to me for they are my only familial connection to the American Revolution. I have searched for Silas and Sarah Cobbs parents, but have not yet located them. I will find them one day.

So here are my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandparents’ gravestones. Silas W. Cobb rests in the Northfield Oakwood Cemetery located in Northbrook, Illinois. Sarah Cobb’s final resting place is in Cobb Cemetery of Moretown, Vermont.

 
My Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather born 15 October 1776

My Great, Great, Great, Great Grandmother: Sarah Cobb nee Hawks

No comments:

Post a Comment