Friday, January 25, 2013

That Sweetheart of a God Mother Part II


As I mentioned in my previous post, I don’t recall meeting my God Mother. After revisiting information about my Uncle Dick Dollen, I decided to search for my her. I was in possession of two facts. Her given name was Marilou and that she was my Uncle Dick’s high school sweetheart.

As I cleaned our coat closet, I pulled out a large blue suitcase that I thought housed my Mother’s accordion. I had quite a surprise when I opened the alleged accordion case for in place of my Mom’s accordion were baby books. My cleaning ground to a halt as I stopped to enjoy the three baby books page by page. My interest in genealogy seems to be predestined for my baby book held a family tree that shed new light on a great, great grandfather and revealed the surname of my God Mother!

Curious about her life and armed with a given and surname, I began searching for her on ancestry.com. I located a Mary Louise who was born in the same city and about the same time of my Uncle Dick’s birth. I decided to test the find by messaging the owner of the tree. Could Mary Louise be my Dick Dollen’s high school sweetheart? I asked the tree owner just that.

The owner replied that yes Mary Louise did date Dick Dollen and a series of messages followed eventually leading to a phone call.

Good News! My Sweetheart of a God Mother is well. She has been blessed with five children, four living children. She is also a grandmother and enjoys her family very much. Marilou remembers her first love.

It was homecoming at Luther Institute when Marilou felt a tap on her shoulder. It happened over and over until she finally caught her admirer. Dick asked her to go steady and Marilou agreed. The girls thought Marilou was lucky to be going steady with such a handsome guy. Dates consisted of riding and going places. Dick would take her out to meet his family. They planned on marrying and raising a family consisting of “a girl just like her and a boy just like Dick.” Marilou and Dick were a match made in heaven!


Marilou and Dick Dollen; a gift from Marilou



3 comments:

  1. This is very coolly. We always heard the name and now have a face. I wonder if she would have been our aunt if Uncle Dick would have lived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I believe she would have been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a Great Find Linda! Sometimes you just have to do some searching! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete