Sunday, June 23, 2013

Putting the Pieces Together

1841 England Census

The 1841 census is the first national census of England and provides the following information about my third great grandparents, John and Ann Dollen & family.

Part of the Parish of Curry Mallet
They inhabited a building on Silver Street.
NAMES of each Person who abode the preceding night


Name
Age/Sex
Employment
Born in Somerset County





John Dollen
50, Male
Carpenter
Y

Ann Dollen
45, Female

Y

John Dollen
10, Male

Y

Silas Dollen
8, Male

Y

Emma Dollen
5, Female

Y

Adolphus
2, Male

Y

Dollen






1851 England Census

The 1851 England Census has provided the following information:

The Parish of Curry Mallet
The street of their abode may be Lower. Difficult to read.
The Name and Surname of each Person who abode in the house,
on the Night of 20th March, 1851

Names
Relation to Head of House
Age, Sex, Marital Status
Occupation
Where Born







John Dollen
Head
62,M,Married
Carpenter
Somerset, West Buckland
Ann Dollen
Wife
54,F,Married

Somerset, Curry Mallet
Silas Dollen
Son
18,M,Unmarr
do
Somerset, Curry Mallet
Emma Dollen
Daur
15,F,Unmarr
Ap
Somerset, Curry Mallet
Adolphus Dollen
Son
13,M,Unmarr
Somerset, Curry Mallet


These two census records shed light on my British ancestors. There are several pieces of information that I am most interested in.

The first puzzle piece: The Place of Birth.

Based on these two censuses, I know that all by British ancestors were born in Curry Mallet, Somerset, England with the single exception of my third great grandfather, John Dollen. 

John Dollen, Head of Household, is reported to have been born in West Buckland of Somerset County. This piece of information enticed me to transcribe the Silas Dollen, Yeoman of West Buckland Will. Could Silas Dollen have been John Dollen’s father? As I transcribed the will, I was encouraged for Silas Dollen, Yeoman of West Buckland, did indeed have a son named John. He also had two other children: Silas and Betty. The dream of finding my fourth great grandfather was dashed when I read the will was executed on the date of 6 November 1722. Silas may yet find his way into my tree, but not as the Father of my third great grandfather, John Dollen.


Linda



No comments:

Post a Comment