Friday, September 27, 2013

A Little Volunteerism


I began volunteering at my local library today. My community is lucky enough to have a genealogy room. My day was spent rummaging through books, directories, published genealogies, and the computer databases. Doris Lundberg was a professional genealogist who donated her genealogical collection to my library. Her vast collection contains reference materials and genealogies from client work that spans the Midwest and Southern regions of the U.S.

Today reminds me to go outside my geographical area for research. There is a treasure trove waiting for just the right researcher!

Libraries are a great source of free information and my library is not exception. It provides the library version of ancestry.com, Heritage Quest, Newsbank, Newsstand, Chicago Tribune archives, First Search and much, much more. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm ashamed to say that I have not yet been to our not-so-new library. Next time I'm in town I will make a point to go and check out the Genealogy Room.

    ReplyDelete