Friday, October 25, 2013

World Pasta Day

Macaroni, the Pasta of my Childhood!




Today is World Pasta Day! Did you know that? I didn’t until my visit to the Geneabloggers web site revealed new blogging prompts. Now this is my kind of holiday! Rigatoni happens to be my pasta of choice. It is strong and firm and holds up well with my red pasta gravy. Yummy!

I think back to my childhood days when the word, pasta, didn’t exist. Back in the day, macaroni made its way to our kitchen table at 1625 Lincoln Avenue. To be exact we consumed Creamette’s elbow macaroni or spaghetti.

One dinner from my childhood was Mom’s Quick Spaghetti, her early variation of today’s 
Spaghetti ala Amatricana. Quick and easy was key! She would sauté onion and bacon, add a can of tomato sauce and once the spaghetti was cooked dinner would be just about ready.


I was not a big fan of her quick spaghetti but in our household, we ate what she prepared for us without complaint. Several years ago my husband and I were lucky enough to take a vacation to Italy. I distinctly remember sitting at a small restaurant tucked in the corner of Rome’s oldest market, Campo de’ Fiori, where I ordered Spaghetti ala Amatricana. The first bite of dinner told me I was eating Mom’s Quick Spaghetti with just a slight variation of ingredients. Grazie, Mom!


Linda

2 comments:

  1. That spaghetti ala Amatricana sounds pretty good, especially when eaten in a little cafe in Italy! When I was growing up we occasionally had spaghetti with Ragu brand sauce or we'd just cut out the middle man and have Spaghetti O's.
    Great to see you yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you too! Oh, yes, Spaghetti O's was a lunchtime favorite!

    ReplyDelete