Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Lovely Turkey Memory



It is the time of year when my thoughts turn to turkey. As I placed the order for a Thanksgiving turkey I am reminded of this lovely memory of my mother.

Back in the 1960’s and 70’s “Turkey” was a slang term for a person who did something silly or foolish. So in our household of teenagers and one grade schooler, the label turkey was meant to tease a sibling who did some crazy thing. The word “Turkey” frequently flew around our house.


     We may have said, “You are a real turkey!” or "You Turkey!"

              My mother in her effort to get with the times uttered 
the following sentence.

Don’t be such an eagle!”

Well, mom managed to silence the room and stop us all dead in our tracks with that declaration. What was she talking about?

It’s a turkey, mom! You mean a turkey not an eagle!”


While I can only speak for myself,  this little story remind me of how perfectly imperfect we all are and how grateful I am for moments like this. Perfection is such hard work. Embracing my many imperfections seems to be the only logical choice for me. Exactly who is perfect anyways?

Do you have a memory where you or someone you love did something silly? Would you like to share it? I would love to hear your story!

Here’s the “Eagle” in all of us.

Have a Happy Day!


Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment