Saturday, January 2, 2016

Think Genealogy

The new year has begun and already we are on day 2. I shudder to think how quickly this year will fly by! Winter here in Chicagoland can be a long, torturous event and the perfect time to renew my genealogical research efforts. Despite the predication of an El Nino winter, we already have experienced ice storms and snow storms. Time to cuddle up to my computer and think genealogy.

I like Thomas MacEntee. He is a great guy who has a great genealogy philosophy of sharing. The first and only time I heard him lecture he spoke of sharing the love, the love of genealogy. I began blogging shortly thereafter.

Thomas has been "sharing the love" with his Genealogy Do-Over program. He has structured this Do-Over through the course of a year allowing for researchers to grow at their own rate in their own time frame. He is also offering up a Genealogy Go-Over for those who can't bear to start over from the beginning.

Though I consider myself a fairly good researcher, I do have one major fault that I know of. Though I am certain more are just waiting to surface. My known fault lies in tracking my research and source citation. I worked on source citation in 2015 and have made strides, but still need to improve my research discipline.

Did I tell you that Discipline is my key word for 2016? Rather than making a resolution, I chose a word; like a sound bite. I may be on to something with this discipline idea!

Participating in the Genealogy Do-Over or Go-Over (I haven't decided on my path) is perfect. I have packed up and moved twice in two years. My records have been boxed, unboxed and boxed up again. My treasured boxes of genealogy material are currently stored at my brother's home patiently waiting to be retrieved. They need to come home.

Thomas MacEntee asks us to create our workspace. Get organized. I do need to find my workspace in our newest residence. I lost my workspace two years ago and haven't really found "my place" due to all the moving around. I am eager to find my spot. So is my husband. I think we may have to arm wrestle for spots! My first Do-Over task has been determined. I will set up my workspace today!

Please join in the fun. You can learn more about The Genealogy Do-Over at Thomas MacEntee's website:  Geneabloggers.com

Happy New Year!


Linda






1 comment:

  1. The workplace is key for me, too. Without it I feel very lazy and disorganized.

    ReplyDelete