Sunday, March 13, 2016

Sunday's Obituary



Here are three obituaries for one person, Richard William Dollen. The most obvious inconsistency is in the spelling of his last name. These obits remind me to always search surnames with spelling variations or wild cards. 

These three obits have also humbled me. I considered myself a fairly decent researcher, until they taught me a BIG lesson. 

I had been wondering where Richard attended grammar and high school and had spent a great deal of time and effort into researching schools in his Chicago neighborhood. You can only imagine my shock when I finally got around to looking at his obituaries that were neatly stored in my binders. 

Finding information about his grammar school and high school in his obituary took me by surprise. His mother must have wanted to alert fellow classmates of this death. 

I ate humble pie that day! 

Linda





No comments:

Post a Comment