An Irish accent is a beautiful thing. Seeing the beautiful
landscapes in Ireland’s 2013 Gathering commercials makes me realize that
Ireland is a grand place and their tourism campaign makes me yearn to see the
Emerald Isle.
Before any such trip, I need to complete my Dooley research. My
newest discovery is a resource unknown to me previously. This new resource is
Sexton Records.
A sexton is a person/persons in charge of a cemetery. This
caretaker keeps records of those buried in the cemetery. Among other duties, the sexton mows,
weeds and trims shrubs. The sexton digs the graves, opens and closes the
cemetery gates. The sexton’s “To Do” list is a long one.
Keeping records is what catches my eye. The Sexton Records of Calvary Cemetery
might yield some unknown Dooley information. I have requested such information
through the Chicago Archdiocese Archives. It should take about four to six
weeks for the results. Now I play the waiting game.
While I am waiting, I just may request Sexton Records for
other ancestors on other trees in other cemeteries. I am curious to see what
the records may hold.
No comments:
Post a Comment