I am definitely not a twattler! However, me thinks I am a
hugger-mugger!
The Great State of Washington rocked my vocabulary yesterday
when Governor Jay Inslee signed a piece of legislation into law calling for gender-neutral
vocabulary. While news to me, it has been in the works for six long years. Beginning
today. . .
A fisherman will now be called a fisher.
A freshman is now a first-year student.
And penmanship becomes handwriting.
Not to fear, manhole will remain as manhole for there seems to be no other term to describe a manhole. As genealogists, we come across words that are no longer used. I must admit that I am a bit distressed to watch my
vocabulary become archaic!
Here
are a few examples of archaic terms:
Baseborn - Born out of wedlock
Foresooth - In truth
Gadzooks - A mild oath
Hugger-mugger - To be in a state of confusion often trying
to conceal the confusion
Me thinks - I think
Swink - To toil or work
Twattling – To Gossip
Yeoman - A farmer/freeholder who tills his own land and
ranks below a gentleman
Yes, I am hugger-mugger with the exception of my not trying
to conceal my confusion. How about you?
Have a great day!
Linda
No comments:
Post a Comment